Birth Control/Birth control Pill/Weight Gain

Hello. I'm considering beginning to take Loseasonique birth control pill. When searching for facts about this pill on google, I learned that weight gain is a common side effect. What exactly in the pill causes weight gain? On average, how much weight does it make someone gain when compared to other birth control pills? Does it actually make someone gain weight, or does it just increase their appetite? Also, which brand(s) of birth control pill usually cause no weight gain? Thank you for your time.

Most studies don't find that women gain weight on birth control pills, except for some water weight from retaining a little more fluid.  In any case, taking a pill with the lowest amount of hormones should be the best to keep from gaining weight.  Loseasonique has very low amounts of estrogen and progesterone, and should cause little if any weight gain.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg

I am an OB-GYN physician. I can answer almost any question related to women's health.

35 years in an active OB-GYN practice.

Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology

MD OB-GYN specialist