Birth Control/birth control problems

I was taking birth control for at least 4 years during the past year i was taking it i would be late on taking my pill or i would forget so i would double sometimes triple up by the time i remembered this was a constant occurrence i stopped taking them about 4 months ago probably longer and i haven't had my period in even longer. I also have been have weird pains in what seems like my uterus area when i press on them and i get sharp pains here and there in that same area. I'm not sure if these are related and if they aware or aren't i don't know whats going on or if its all in my head.

Hi Jenna,

Thanks for your message. You say you stopped taking your pills about four months ago, haven't had a period yet, and are experiencing pain.

Going off the pill can effect some women's cycles, but as it's been four months already and you haven't had a period you may want to get a pregnancy test done.

As well, any time you experience pain you would be wise to get it checked out by a doctor. Pain is our body's way of telling us something is wrong, and a doctor can help you out with figuring out what is going on in your body.

You say you live in Ontario, so if you want you can call the local Planned Parenthood organization (find yours here

But if you are in pain an appointment at your doctor might be a good place to start.

Take care,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.