Birth Control/depo vs. implant

Question
I'm currently on the depo shot, but have extreme irritable issues the first month or so on it. I'm tired of feeling this way, so nexplanon is now my next consideration. I was told I would have the same reaction to the implant as I have to the shot due to it being the same hormone. Is this true?

Answer
It's possible that you would have the same reaction to the implant, but not necessarily.  Both consist of progestins, which are synthetic progesterone, but they are 2 different progestins (depo medroxyprogesterone acetate vs etonogestrel).  Different women have different reactions and side effects (or have none) to different progestins.  The only way that you'll know is by trying the implant, but I would say there is a good chance that you won't feel the same with the implant as with the depo shot.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg