Birth Control/Birth Control change and Periods

Question
I was on Lessina for three months, but my periods were always the week BEFORE my placebo pills. I couldn't find any answer on if this meant the birth control was working. This month, the pharmacist was out of my birth control and gave me Orsythia and said it was the same thing and should work the same, but now it's the week before my placebo pills and I'm not having my period. I had cramps and was experiencing PMS symptoms like usual, but no bleeding.

Is this normal? Should i be concerned about pregnancy? I last had sex while on the regular pills, not placebo pills. Should i wait and see what happens when i get on the placebos?  Should i switch to another method of B. C. if it's not regulating my periods to be with the placebo pills?

Thank you for your help

Answer
Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your message. You seem to be concerned that your period is not coming at the right time while on the pill.

Normally your period will come early if the hormones aren't enough and cause some spotting to happen. Currently you say you are on the hormone pills and you are not having your period. Well that is the way it is supposed to work, as normally your period will come with the 1 week placebo pills, which means what is happening now is what it is supposed to be.

If your period comes while on the placebo pills that means it is working the way it is supposed to. So I would recommend waiting to see what happens next week. As well, it takes a few months for your body to adjust, so because you have just changed pills your body may still take some time to regulate. This may also be what is causing the cramping and PMS symptoms.

See what happens next week and next month. If you are still worried after that you can go back to your doctor.

Hope this helps,
Allison

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth