Birth Control/birth control pills

Dear Dr Norman,
I took a pack of Yasmine birth control pills (21) as usual, and decided to move straight on to the next pack to skip a period but its been a week now and am experiencing breakthrough bleeding so I decided to stop the second pack and not use the rest of it and take a 7 days break without the pills so my period can come.. then I start a new pack again …but will that cover me from pregnancy?

Hello Iama,
That will keep you protected from pregnancy.  The general rule is that you need to take the active pill for at least 21 days (can be more), and you can't be off the pill for more than 7 days (can be less) in order to maintain protection.  I agree with you that the best way to stop the breakthrough bleeding is to stop the pill for 4-7 days to allow the period to come.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg

I am an OB-GYN physician. I can answer almost any question related to women's health.

35 years in an active OB-GYN practice.

Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology

MD OB-GYN specialist