Birth Control/Effectiveness of pill

I've been on the  same birth control got for over two years (orysthia). If I've never missed a pill and always take at the same time is there a lesser chance of birth control failure when one is missed over if I had missed several over the. last couple years or is each month essentially like starting over?  I started my newest pack on a Sunday, my husband and I had sexual intercourse a few days later on Tuesday. I missed taking Fridays pill and didn't realize it until I went to take Saturdays, so. I took 2 that morning.  On average when ( how soon) or if even someone ovulate in this case. I would have only taken 5 pills in a row before I missed one. I've been having stomache cramps off and on the past few days but I'm thinking its just because I'm nervous and worried about becoming pregnant. If I were to have ovulated would there be a big chance that sperm would either be able to get through the cervical mucous (not sure how thick it would be at this point) or that they would still be alive by that point in the cycle. At this point I only have 2 more active pills to take before I start my placebo week. My period usually comes on the third placebo  pll, so I only have a few days to see what happens.  When does plan b come into effect with missed pills? If you've had sex and then realize you've  missed pills in the past days or if you have sex and then a few days later miss a pll? Hope you can give me some advice and input

Hi Sara,

Thanks for your message. You say you missed a pill on Friday last week and when you realized it the next day you took two together (that day's regular pill as well as the one you missed). You are wondering what the chances of pregnancy are from this.

You absolutely did the right thing. If you miss a pill you are supposed to take it as soon as you remember, which can mean taking two at once.

You are right that the pill stops you from ovulating, also changes the cervical mucus, and it makes the lining of the uterus less likely to hold a fertilized egg.

There would be no need to take Plan B in this instance because your actions were correct and you would not have ovulated.

If you want to learn more you can go here:

Take care,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.