Birth Control/Late period

Question
Hello!
I had unprotected sex using withdrawal method 10 days before my period. Up till today, my period hasn't arrive and it sort of happened 2 months ago in January where my period was prolonged due to the side effects of heavily using postinor 2 as my contraceptives. Thus, my period only arrive early of March. As for now, I have not taken any postinor 2 nor any birth control pills while using the withdrawal method as my contraceptive, its been 20 days since my period was due. I have taken a pregnancy test today which turns out negative. Would my period be delayed till next month?
Is it possible that after not taking postinor 2, the side effects would still occur in the future?
I would like to know what kind of monthly birth control pills would be suitable for 20 year olds. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your message. I'm not sure I'm reading your timeline right, but you are saying that you had unprotected sex without ejaculation ten days before your period was due. It has now been another 20 days since your period was due and it still hasn't come. This means the unprotected sex you are talking about was 30 days ago. However you took a pregancy test and it was negative.

If I have your timeline right, then a pregnancy test would show up as positive if it was 30 days after unprotected sex. This means you are probably not pregnant.

There's a good chance your period is delayed because of the birth control pill. It can take several months for the body to readjust after stopping using the pill, up to 6 months sometimes even.

I would recommend you go back to your doctor to talk about this, and to figure out which birth control you would like to use. The type of pill that is suitable for you would depend on your medical history and other factors that your doctor can help you with.

I hope this helps,
Allison

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth