Birth Control/Lost my pills

I've been taking brith control for over 5 years. I lost my pills by accident and won't have acces to a new box until next week. I'm taking femiane and I had left pills for 7 more days.  I decided to stop  them and start a new one when I have acces. I don't know when should I though. Do I start them the first day of my period?

Hi Allie

Thanks for your message. You can start the pills at any time, as long as you ALSO use condoms as a back up method for the first 7 days because it will take that long before the pills start working again. Starting day 8 the pills will be effective on their own for birth control.

I hope this helps,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.