Birth Control/BIRTH CONTROL

Question
I stopped taking my pill on saturday, i had sex on Sunday, is there a possibility that i'm pregnany??

Answer
Hi Titanna,

Thanks for your message. You say you stopped taking your pill on Saturday and had sex on Sunday and wonder if you could be pregnant.

There's not really enough information for me to answer your question accurately.

Do you mean you were on the pill but have now decided to stop taking it completely? Or are you just taking the 7 day pill-free/hormone-free week as is usual each month?

If you are just on the pill-free week then as long as you are taking your pills every day at about the same time without missing any, and there is 7 days or less break between hormonal pills, then there would be very little chance of pregnancy as you are taking it as prescribed and it is over 99% effective.

If you have now decided to stop taking the pill entirely and Saturday was the last day ever for you to take the pill, it is still very unlikely that you would be pregnant. Although you could become fertile at any time after stopping the pill, it does take several days of not taking hormones for that to be likely. As well, although the sperm can potentially live several days, there would need to be fertile cervical fluid and one of the mechanisms of the pill is to stop your body from making this.

So, overally, it is very unlikely that you would be pregnant if you were previously taking the pill as prescribed.

I hope this helps and if you have any concerns you can always speak with your doctor,
Take care,
Allison

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth