Birth Control/Latex

I was wondering if latex as in the condom type is available in square sheets? I'd like to improvise a barrier for oral sex with it instead of using a plastic wrap.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your question. It's great that you are looking for a way to have safer sex in a creative way.

What you can buy is called "dental dams" which is basically a square latex sheet, and should be sold with condoms at the pharmacy. If you can't find that, you can get condoms that are NOT lubricated (so you don't have to deal with tasting lubricant or spermicide) and just cut them up one side so you can stretch them out to a square shape.

Good luck and have fun!

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.