Birth Control/Major spotting in between periods.

I've been on the tri-cyclen lo birth control pill for more than 5 months, and recently been bleeding a good amount in between periods, i've been using up regular tampons when this happens and i'm wondering if this is because sexual intercourse changes your menstrual patterns or if its because on low estrogen in the pills. Thank you very much.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your message. You say you've been bleeding in the middle of your periods and using tampons.

I would recommend you go see your doctor to talk about this soon. There's no way to know for sure what is causing this without a doctor's examination, but I will say that large amount of blood is something that needs to be sorted out as that's not what is supposed to happen.

Take care,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.