Birth Control/Missed Pill

Question
Hello,

Usually I take my pill at 6pm every day. Yesterday my boyfriend and I had sex without a condom around 1pm. I woke up this morning (the day after) and realized I didn't take my pill the night before. How at risk am I for pregnancy? My period is supposed to start in about 3-4 days

Answer
Hi Devon,

Thanks for your message. You say you forgot to take your pill at 6pm as usual, and earlier in the day you had had sex. You are now wondering about your risk of pregnancy.

You don't say which pill you are on, but if you are on a combined pill (including both an estrogen and a progesterone) then you are still protected from pregnancy. If you took the pill as soon as you woke this morning when you realized you forgot it, then you are fine.

As long as you only forget 1 pill, and take it as soon as you remember, then pregnancy is not a risk.

You can read more about the missed pill guidelines here: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/miss-combined-pill.aspx

Hope this helps,
Allison

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth