Birth Control/Birth control

i m 36yrs old and a mother of 2.6yrs old baby boy...we are using condoms to avoid pregnancy. recently i have seen one article in which it says that even using condoms can not stop few STD's...and to some even condoms can create problems...can you tell me what we can do>???i dont want to use any \birth control option, if possible.can you tell me how we can avoid pregnancy??

Hi Jaishwari,

Thank you for your message. You have a few questions about condoms and birth control which I will try to help with.

It is true that some STDs can still be passed even if you use condoms. These are viruses such as herpes and warts in which they can be on the skin of the genital area not protected by the condom. Do you know if yoru partner has these viruses? If he does, it is important to not have sex during the time that he has a blister or sore on his skin until after it has healed which can take several weeks.

I am not sure what you mean by "condoms can create problems" so I'm unable to answer that.

Condoms are by far the best way to prevent pregnancy and STDs, as no other form of birth control will protect against STDs.

If you want to not become pregnant, but do not want to use condoms, then you can use options such as the IUD (which is a device inserted into the uterus which lasts about 5 years), or hormonal contraception (various methods which you would need to ask a doctor about), or even natural methods of fertility awareness where you track your body's natural signs of fertility and avoid sex during the time around ovulation.

If you want to learn more you can read these websites for more information or email me back.

Take care,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.