Birth Control/Birth control

Question
My mom's cousin died from a blood clot in her brain, supposedly from taking birth control, and I was wondering if there was a form of birth control that has little to no chance of blood clots and still prevents pregnancy?

Answer
S,

Blood clots while on birth control are a risk, but a very small one ( 3-9 for every 10,000 women)and there are several factors that affect your personal susceptibility such as obesity and smoking. If you're in good health and don't smoke, it's probably safe for you to take the traditional pill. However, if you or your mom are worried, there are estrogen-free pills, or mini pills, that do not carry the same risk. The progestin only mini pill is slightly less effective than conventional birth control but is still 91 to 99 percent effective when used according to the directions.

here's some more info: http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/mini_pill.html

Birth Control

Julia Fout