Birth Control/Birth controls

I was wonder what type of birth control could be right for me. I always forget to take pills on a regular basis, my boyfriend says that the birth control patch can mess with your skin. I want to be on birth control because I don't want kids right now and my boyfriend will not wear a condom. I was wondering if you could help me out.

Dear Alyssa,

There are different types of birth control.

If you are interested in hormonal birth control you could look in to the patch, the ring, or the shot. These are all hormonal but do not require remembering every day, they are once per week, once per month, and once per 3 months respectively.

There is also the IUD with is a device inserted into your uterus which stays there up to 5 years.

Or you could use other barrier methods such as the female condom or the diaphragm.

Having a conversation with a doctor or at a Planned Parenthood clinic would probably be helpful for you.

Good luck,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.