Birth Control/Chances?

i usually have dry sex (dry humping) with no sexual intercourse since i am still a virgin.
I usually also take birth control pills, but I have stopped them for the past month.
Yesterday, some semen might have came in contact with my vagina on the outside and so i took an emergency contraceptive within 12 hours.
Are there any pregnancy risks?

Dear Amy,

Thank you for your message. You say that there is a possibility that some semen might have come into contact with the outside of your vagina and you took emergency contraception within 12 hours.

If you took the emergency contraception then there is no risk of pregnancy. It is highly unlikely that you could be pregnant from this situation anyways, however if you were ovulating at that time there would be a very slight risk depending on where the semen was in contact with you.

Please note that taking the pills can delay your next period, and you should get it within 3 weeks of taking the pills.

Take care,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.