Birth Control/3 month injection effectiveness

I gave birth in May 2012 and my period has not returned since I gave birth. At the hospital they gave me the 2 month injection birth control. I went in July for my next shot and was told the doctor only has the 3 month injection so I took that. I went in October for my next shot and skipped my January shot. I only went in March. I was supposed to go two weeks ago but did not go for my 3 month shot. My husband and I have had unprotected sex twice the past two weeks. I need to know if the 3 month injection is still in my system. I do not want another baby. I have not had any indication of a menstrual period since last year. Should I be worried. I want to know if I can go off the 3 month injection and use contraceptive pills instead. I would like my period to return. How long should I wait. Can I go on the contraceptive pill right now or do I wait until I get a period and do I need to use barrier contraception in the meanwhile?
Thank you in advance.

Hi Caren, I cannot tell you the possibility of the birth control injection still being in your system. So you're saying that you have not had a period for a long time? So you can't tell if you are pregnant or not? I found this question in the question pool at so I know there is a delay in my answer. Let me know if you found anything out yet about your situation. Please check with your doctor about contraceptive questions as he/she would be the best because they know all your medical history. But if you are really worried about stopping pregnancy, then a barrier method would help. Why do you not want any more children? Please email me at and we can talk more.

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl

I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I have done much research about side effects and risks of birth control methods. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and "What are the advantages of birth control pills or condoms?" I have almost 25 years of experience volunteering with pregnancy resource centers. Please contact me at if you would like to know more information about your situation or if I am "Maxed OUT".

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience.
I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.