Birth Control/Could I be pregnant???

Question
I'm on the pill (Yaz), but I missed a day and on that day my boyfriend and I had sex twice with no condom. Then I missed my pill two days after that with no sex. Is it possible I'm pregnant?

Answer
Hi Kiera,

Thanks for your message.

You didn't say what you did when you missed your pill. Did you take it as soon as you remembered?

If you did, then you should be fine. The rules for taking the pill say that if you only miss one and you take it as soon as you remember then the pills will continue to work to prevent pregnancy.

And sperm only lives a few short hours in the vaginal canal of a woman who is on the pill. This is because the pill works to change the inside of the vagina and the cervix so that the environment is not friendly to sperm. This means that the pill you missed two days later would not have any effect on sperm from two days before because it would already be dead.

You can look at this link for more information about skipped pills: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/miss-combined-pill.aspx

Take care,
Allison

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth