Birth Control/Aviane

Question
It's my first time ever with aviane I only went threw 3 weeks on the pill. I only drank two light green placebo pills. My question is when will my period stop. And what might be my side effects. I'm only 16 years old

Answer
Hi Gina,

Thanks for your message.

You say you are taking aviane and are on the placebo pills. You ask when your period will stop and what side effects might be.

Your period will normally be from 3 to 5 days on the pill. However some women experience breakthrough bleeding or spotting (light bleeding) that is not their period. This is fairly common for some pills. If this happens to you and you find it distressing or want to stop then you can go ask your doctor for a different pill with a different hormone combination.

Side effects are all listed on the paper included in the pill pack. Common ones are breast tenderness, nausea, or mood changes. However after being on the pill for a few months these side effects often get to be less as your body adjusts to the hormones. Positive side effects include less PMS and lighter periods.

You can read more about birth control pills here (http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details.asp?channel_id=0&brand_name_id=4979&pa) or you can always ask your doctor for more information.

I hope this helps,
Allison  

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth