Birth Control/Missed Pill

Question
Hi there,
I have a very common situation, with specific questions. I am on Mononessa Tablets, have been for about a year since the birth of my 2nd child. I have never missed a pill until recently. However, the time I take the pill varies by a couple hours every night.
My question is this, I missed my pill (36 hours late) on my Anniversary. As you can imagine, there was a lot of "activity" surrounding this occurrence. When I remembered the forgotten pill, I took it immediately, then took my regular scheduled pill that evening. It is now 8 days later, and I am having light cramping and spotting, including tender breasts, mood swings, and mild acne, Etc. Does this sound like "breakthrough bleeding" from the fluctuation in hormones? Or is there a good chance I rendered the birth control ineffective, and could be experiencing "implantation bleeding"? I do not expect my period for another 7 days, so obviously I don't want to waste a pregnancy test. Clearly we aren't "trying" to conceive, but would welcome another little addition if this happened. If there is a possibility of pregnancy, I would like to know, that way I take necessary precautions (no alcohol) until I can take a test.

Thanks in advance,
Britt

Answer
Hi Brittany,

Thank you for your question. You say you took one of your pills 36 hours late and took the next one at your regular schedule. You are having some side effects and are wondering if it's because you missed the pill.

Normally if you miss a pill but remember to take it within a day then continue as usual the pills will still be effective (read here: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/miss-combined-pill.aspx).

It is possible that because of the change in when the pills were taken your body is adjusting. However there is no way to know for sure without talking with a doctor.

As I said, the pills should still be effective and it's quite likely you are not pregnant. However if you are concerned you can always get a pregnancy test to be sure or see your doctor.

I hope this helps,
Allison  

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth