Birth Control/pill

I'm on my first pack and decided to quit in the middle of the pack. I'm supposed to be on the start of the 3rd week. my question is that even if i don't take the regularly can i just take one whever i plan to have sex

Dear Devin,

Thank you for your message. You say you started to take birth control pills but stopped in the middle of the pack. You ask if you can take the pill only when you want to have sex.

The answer to that is no, the pill only works if you take it every day as prescribed by your doctor.

If you do not take it every day then it will not work and you will still be able to get pregnant.

It might be worth going back to your doctor to discuss the reasons why you stopped and alternative forms of contraception you can use.

If you don't want to have to take something every day there are other methods of hormonal birth control that you only have to use once a week or once a month. As well there are methods of birth control that are not hormonal such as the IUD or diaphragm or even using condoms is highly effective.

Take care,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.