Birth Control/Skipped Period

Question
It was my boyfriend's and I's anniversary so we knew we wanted to have sex and unfortunately my period would come the day before and I'd have it during our special day. I decided to skip my period and start the next pack of my pills. However, my period still came as I was taking the pills AND I continued to take them anyways. Its now 2 weeks since I finished the last pack and I don't want to start a new one until I get my period. But I am also worried I could be pregnant or I did something dangerous by continuing my pills. Please help.

Answer
Hi Erin,

Thank you for your message. You say you skipped your period by taking two packs of pills back to back without the week break/sugar pills. You stopped your last pack two weeks ago and are waiting to get your period and are worried you may have done something wrong.

First of all, many women take their packs back to back to skip their periods and this is considered to be safe and common to do so you haven't done anything wrong by doing this.

As for not getting your period, as long as you took your pills at about the same time each day and didn't miss any or get sick soon after you took them then they should be working. The fact that you don't have your period yet could be because you took two packs and your body is just a little confused. Your period should come soon hopefully.

Just keep in mind that you are NOT protected from pregnancy at this time because you have had more than 7 days break without pills. This means that you need to use another method of birth control (for example condoms). Also, whenever you do start your pills again, they will not be effective for the first 7 days so you will need to use a back up method of contraception until you are on day 8 of the pill pack, after which they will be working again.

I hope this helps explain it for you. If you are still concerned after reading this you can always go see your doctor or take a pregnancy test.

Take care,
Allison  

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth