Birth Control/Sore breasts

Question
Hi, I'm 16 years old, and I just went on the pill, I'm taking Yaz, and it was to get rid of my acne, but that's just getting worse, and I've been experiencing sore breasts.. When ever I apply pressure, they hurt. I'm thinking its because of Birth Control. They've grown a little, but they're tender and hurt at every touch. Is this healthy? Am I safe to be taking this pill?

Answer
Hi Alesha,

Thanks for your message.

Women often get sore breasts with the pill because of the levels of progesterone hormone. It is similar to what some women experience with PMS. Often side effects reduce or go away after being on the pill for a while once the body has time to adjust to the changes.

Like I said, it can take a couple of months for the body to adjust so your acne may still improve. However, I would suggest that it might be worth talking to your doctor about another option or a different pill as there are many different hormone combinations. Alternatives to hormones to help improve acne should also be investigated if they havent already (for example diet and nutrition effects hormone levels and can affect acne so a nutritionist may be helpful).

Please do talk to your doctor if you are concerned.

Take care,
Allison

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth