Birth Control/Thrombosis and birth control

Hi :)
I am a 17 year old female and have never been on birth control. However i am now becoming sexually active and am very worried about pregnancy occurring.
I have a family history of thrombosis with my mum having suffered with the condition whilst pregnant with me. She had also been on birth control pills for several years before becoming pregnant.
I was wondering what my options are? I am aware of several different types of contraception, however the majority use hormone control apart from the coil, which i am a little wary of due to complications a friend suffered with following the procedure. Is there any other form of birth control that does not increase my risk of thrombosis?
Thank you :)

Hi Ella, I would not recommend any kind of hormonal birth control method. In fact, if you are not married, I would not recommend for you to have a sexual relationship at this time. I'm glad you are aware of some of the complications that come from birth control methods. Please email me privately at so we can talk more in private. Write soon!

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl

I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I have done much research about side effects and risks of birth control methods. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and "What are the advantages of birth control pills or condoms?" I have almost 25 years of experience volunteering with pregnancy resource centers. Please contact me at if you would like to know more information about your situation or if I am "Maxed OUT".

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience.
I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.