Birth Control/new to birthcontrol

I just started taking the pill this month. I have taken 2 of The active pills.what do i do if i start my period while middle week of taking the active pills? Do i take the placebo pills then start back where i was at with the pack?

Hi Brittany,

Thanks for your message.  You should always take the pills in the same order otherwise they will not work. This means always take 21 active pills then 7 placebo pills, then 21 active and so on.

Some women do experience a bit of spotting during the active pills but not a full period. If this happens to you you might want to ask your doctor about taking a different pill so that this doesn't happen. However lots of women do not have any spotting and only bleed during the week of placebo pills. You will just have to wait and see how they affect your body.

Take care,

Birth Control

Allison Macbeth

I can answer questions about how to choose which method of contraception is right for you, how to deal with mistakes, effectiveness, and emergency contraception. I also have training in HIV, STIs, and sexual health education. I cannot tell you what is the right choice, but I can tell you the pros and cons of each method to help you make an informed decision for your circumstances. If you have had a condom break or had unprotected sex and need emergency contraception please call you local Planned Parenthood or check out

I have been working in the field of sexual health for a decade with specific training in contraception, STIs, HIV, and sexual problems. I have worked in several Planned Parenthood-affiliated charities, telephone helplines, research, education, and currently work for a local health authority evaluating HIV programs in the city.

Macbeth, A., Weerakoon, P., Sitharthan, G. (2009). Australian Parentsí Opinions about School-based Sexual Health Education. Sexual Health. 6, 328-333. I write a weekly advice column for Morning Quickie website which can be found here:

I have a Masters in Applied Science (Sexual Health) where I did research on sex education in schools and at home with parents and young people, as well as many counselling skills courses.

I have worked extensively with young people under 25, people living with or affected by HIV, and parents.