Birth Control/Continuous Birth Control

I went on continuous birth control (combined pill) around 4-5 months ago instead of taking the regular 21 day off 7 day style.  I still have breakthrough bleeding every month during when my period is supposed to be, but I just continue taking the pill and it eventually goes away.  But this last month, I had a period for 3 weeks.  I called my gynecologist and she said to stop taking the pills for 2 days and then get back on them and stay on them.  I stopped the pills for 2 days and had heavier bleeding.  I started the pills back up and have been on them since.  I asked her how long I had to use a second type of protection.  She said that they tell everyone 1 month, but that most doctors say 2 weeks.  She said to do a month because my body was all messed up and she didnt know where I was at in my cycle.  The thing is I am going to Mexico this weekend and next week and was looking forward to unprotected sex with my boyfriend.  

So, I only didn't take the pills 2 days and that was just to have a real period.  I have been back on the pill for 11 days and will be back on it 14 by the time I have unprotected sex.  All the research I did stated I am safe after 7 days of taking the pill and shouldn't worry, but I wanted to know if that was true and why only 7 days.  What if I had ovulated?  Thank you so much for your help!  I just want to make sure I am not fertile.

Dear Jessie, I cannot tell you for sure that you are not fertile. I disagree with your doctor and don't ever recommend that you take birth control continuously. I feel that this practice is not healthy for your body. Our bodies are made this way for a reason. A cycle and then period. So I'm sorry that I cannot relieve your mind about this.

Of course, I guess you can say I'm old-fashioned and don't recommend that anyone have sex unless married. I feel that this can make for peace of mind when you don't have to worry about pregnancy in a relationship. Let me know what you think. You can email me at and I would like to stay in touch with you.

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl

I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I have done much research about side effects and risks of birth control methods. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and "What are the advantages of birth control pills or condoms?" I have almost 25 years of experience volunteering with pregnancy resource centers. Please contact me at if you would like to know more information about your situation or if I am "Maxed OUT".

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience.
I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.