Birth Control/Continuous Birth Control

Question
I went on continuous birth control (combined pill) around 4-5 months ago instead of taking the regular 21 day off 7 day style.  I still have breakthrough bleeding every month during when my period is supposed to be, but I just continue taking the pill and it eventually goes away.  But this last month, I had a period for 3 weeks.  I called my gynecologist and she said to stop taking the pills for 2 days and then get back on them and stay on them.  I stopped the pills for 2 days and had heavier bleeding.  I started the pills back up and have been on them since.  I asked her how long I had to use a second type of protection.  She said that they tell everyone 1 month, but that most doctors say 2 weeks.  She said to do a month because my body was all messed up and she didnt know where I was at in my cycle.  The thing is I am going to Mexico this weekend and next week and was looking forward to unprotected sex with my boyfriend.  

So, I only didn't take the pills 2 days and that was just to have a real period.  I have been back on the pill for 11 days and will be back on it 14 by the time I have unprotected sex.  All the research I did stated I am safe after 7 days of taking the pill and shouldn't worry, but I wanted to know if that was true and why only 7 days.  What if I had ovulated?  Thank you so much for your help!  I just want to make sure I am not fertile.

Answer
Dear Jessie, I cannot tell you for sure that you are not fertile. I disagree with your doctor and don't ever recommend that you take birth control continuously. I feel that this practice is not healthy for your body. Our bodies are made this way for a reason. A cycle and then period. So I'm sorry that I cannot relieve your mind about this.

Of course, I guess you can say I'm old-fashioned and don't recommend that anyone have sex unless married. I feel that this can make for peace of mind when you don't have to worry about pregnancy in a relationship. Let me know what you think. You can email me at CHERYL51@aol.com and I would like to stay in touch with you.

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl