Birth Control/Low Dose Birth Control Pill

I recently went to the doctor to get birth control to prevent pregnancy. She said that she wanted to start me off on a low dose birth control pill for the first year. What does she mean by "start me off"? In other words, why wouldn't I just stay on the low dose version after the year is up? I understand that it is best to get used to it first, but is it not as effective at preventing pregnancy or something and therefore after a year I have to get on something stronger? This worries me because the only reason I am taking it is for pregnancy prevention. I didn't get a chance to ask her these things because she was in a bit of a hurry. Also, the directions for the pill say to take it at the same time everyday. How many hours of leeway do I have if I forget to take it at the exact same time?

Hi Emma, Sorry I did not get to your question until now. Have you asked your doctor any more questions? I usually discourage women from getting on any kind of birth control pill because of the hormones. I feel that it is not healthy to be on hormones. Your instructions should be on your pill pack about your other questions. Please email me at so we can talk more. We can take about other kind of birth control methods. Write soon.

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl

I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I have done much research about side effects and risks of birth control methods. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and "What are the advantages of birth control pills or condoms?" I have almost 25 years of experience volunteering with pregnancy resource centers. Please contact me at if you would like to know more information about your situation or if I am "Maxed OUT".

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience.
I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.