Birth Control/Low Dose Birth Control Pill

Question
Hello,
I recently went to the doctor to get birth control to prevent pregnancy. She said that she wanted to start me off on a low dose birth control pill for the first year. What does she mean by "start me off"? In other words, why wouldn't I just stay on the low dose version after the year is up? I understand that it is best to get used to it first, but is it not as effective at preventing pregnancy or something and therefore after a year I have to get on something stronger? This worries me because the only reason I am taking it is for pregnancy prevention. I didn't get a chance to ask her these things because she was in a bit of a hurry. Also, the directions for the pill say to take it at the same time everyday. How many hours of leeway do I have if I forget to take it at the exact same time?

Answer
Hi Emma, Sorry I did not get to your question until now. Have you asked your doctor any more questions? I usually discourage women from getting on any kind of birth control pill because of the hormones. I feel that it is not healthy to be on hormones. Your instructions should be on your pill pack about your other questions. Please email me at CHERYL51@aol.com so we can talk more. We can take about other kind of birth control methods. Write soon.

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl