Birth Control/Flax seeds - good or bad for menstrual cycle?

Question

I am interested in starting to incorporate flax seeds into my daily diet (about 1 tbsp a day).  I read about the benefits of flax seeds and mainly want to reap in those benefits.  But, I also read that flax seeds contain phytoestrogens (lignans) which can extend the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle.  I also have irregular periods (periods come about 5-6 weeks apart) so I am worried if the flax seeds would make my irregularity even worse (make my periods come less frequently).  If they will regulate my periods, that would be a huge bonus.

I am 22 years old, at a healthy weight, I exercise daily, and I try to maintain a healthy diet.  I plan on adding the tablespoon of flax seeds into a fruit/vegetable smoothie that I make for myself every day.

Thank you so much for your time. :)

Answer
I also take flax seeds daily.  I'm not sure they help, but someone recommended them a long time ago for constipation.  In general, phytoestrogens don't have enough estrogenic effect to have any effect on periods.  I doubt that you will notice any difference in the length of your periods after being on flax seeds.  Although many claims are made for flax seeds, I have not seen good evidence that flax seeds or other phytoestrogens can extend the luteal phase.

In case you do notice a change in your period length, then I would stop the flax seeds to see if they are really the cause.  In case you find that they really affect your periods, please let me know.  Best wishes.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg