Birth Control/Condom, Pulling out, No Birth control

Question
Hi Norman,

I'm a 20 year old girl who is normally on Lo loestrin. Usually, over the summer, with my OBGYN's permission, I stop taking the pill because doesn't allow me to lose weight properly. I'm not overweight, but, I do work out extensively and eat well and the pill effects my normal routine. I'm not sexually active over the summer, which I am while I'm away at college. Therefore, she is okay with me doing this.

As of now, I'm off the pill and feeling great. However, I do out of the blue have a new sexual partner. I do not want to go back on the pill for this, because I want my body to regulate back to normal.

I'm curious of how effective it is to use a condom and withdrawl before the man finishes, because this is the most likely approach I want to take.

Thanks!

Answer
Condoms are considered to have a failure of 15 per 100 couples per year.  That means that using condoms for 1 year, out of 100 couples about 15 will get pregnant.

Withdrawal alone has a variable rate of effectiveness.  If always used correctly, in 1 year 4 couples or 100 will get pregnant.  If not always used correctly, in 1 year 27 women of 100 will get pregnant.  Most guys aren't very good at withdrawing in time.

Combining any 2 methods of birth control are additive, meaning the failure rate will be less.

So it's hard to say exactly, but this gives you some idea of the effectiveness.  

Birth Control

Norman Solberg