Birth Control/Questions about Birth Control

I have a question about birth control. I've been taking Gianvi for about a month now, and I'm concerned about how it's working.

I started it June 29th, the Sunday after my period. Everything has been going well since I started it, my period would have started on the 21st of this month if I weren't on birth control. My period usually starts exactly when it's predicted to, but it didn't, which I knew would happen if the birth control worked well. But, two days after my period WOULD have started, is when I started taking the iron pills when I'm supposed to have my period while on birth control. Of the four days that it has me taking these, I've already taken two of them, and I haven't have my period. Is this normal? Does that mean it's working well or is it a problem? I'm not sexually active so there's no chance that I'm pregnant.

With this, I also wanted to ask how safe it is to have intercourse this early after starting birth control. Two weeks from now I'm going to be with my boyfriend who I've been with for five years and I haven't gotten to see him for the last two years so I'm not sure what kinds of things we might do. I just want to be safe because I don't want to get pregnant so I wanted to see if we should have other kinds of protection if we are to have sex.

I've heard that sometimes women can get pregnant even with birth control, but then the fetus is either absorbed or aborted if you continue to use the birth control. But other sources have told me that if I do get pregnant, it will just continue as normal. The problem with that is that I will be getting bloodwork done every month to make sure that I'm not pregnant or doing any kinds of drugs (these tests are for athletics in college) and I don't know how this kind of thing affects your hormones, and I don't want them to take away my scholarship if the tests say that I became pregnant. It's imperative that I don't get pregnant from this so we're both willing to have all the protection I need.

What do you think? Is the birth control working? Should I worry about this? Should we use protection if we do anything? How effective is the pill after only a month of use? What about the bloodwork with this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Lilia, First of all, I would advise you not to have sex when you see your boyfriend because it sounds like this scholarship is VERY important. I don't think it would be a wise decision to have sex and risk pregnancy. Let me know what you think.
I can't tell you if the birth control is working from what you have said. There are doses of hormones in the birth control pill so you never know how this is going to affect your body. There is always a chance of pregnancy whenever you have sex even taking birth control. Please write me at

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control

Diane Cheryl

I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I have done much research about side effects and risks of birth control methods. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and "What are the advantages of birth control pills or condoms?" I have almost 25 years of experience volunteering with pregnancy resource centers. Please contact me at if you would like to know more information about your situation or if I am "Maxed OUT".

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience.
I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.