Birth Control/Placebo Question

Hello, I am a 19 year old college student and have been on birth control for about 8-9 months. I'm going home next weekend to see my boyfriend and it's unfortunately the same days that I have my scheduled period. I don't get to go home very often and I really don't want to make things awkward if I am on my period at that time so I wanted to see if I could either take my placebo pills this weekend and have my period then or have it the week after or just skip it all together for this month?

I know that skipping a period is kind of dangerous for your health and that it may not be very good if I change it around but I just don't want to worry about it for the few days that I'm going to be home so I wanted to see what the best solution would be?

Thanks in advance.

Using the pill, it's usually fairly easy to have your period whenever you want to.  And it's not dangerous to your health to skip periods.

You could try to just keep taking the active pills, and most likely your period wouldn't come until you stop the active pills.

The other way would be to stop the pill now, wait 4 days, then re-start a new pack.  As long as you've been on the pill again for 7 days, you're protected (stopping early causes you to lose protection).  I think that would work best, because sometimes when you take the pill for longer than 21 days, you start to spot.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg

I am an OB-GYN physician. I can answer almost any question related to women's health.

35 years in an active OB-GYN practice.

Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology

MD OB-GYN specialist