Birth Control/Birth control for breast tenderness

Hi! I'm a pretty healthy 24-year-old who has never taken birth control (I have a history of fibroadenomas and am scared of putting hormones in my body), and I have incredibly heavy periods--7-8 days long and bleeding through super tampons hourly for the first 3 days. I use an entire box of tampons every period! The week before my period, though, my breasts get so sore that it hurts to walk down the stairs or lay on my side to sleep. They also swell a full size larger. It's painful and incredibly uncomfortable--my bras barely fit once a month. Will taking birth control alleviate the PMS swelling/pain? I was thinking of trying Skyla, which has the lowest dose of hormones and hopefully won't affect my fibroadenomas. Will it help?

If not, is there anything I can take to prevent/alleviate it?

thanks so much!

Skyla is a progesterone IUD.  I think it will probably make your periods much lighter, but I don't think it will have any effect on your breasts.  The progesterone in Skyla is low dose and is mostly taken up inside the uterus.  It generally has no effect anywhere else in the body.

For something that may help both your breasts and your heavy periods, you might try Lo Loestrin, which is a birth control pills that only contains 10 mcg of estrogen.  Any birth control pill will usually make periods lighter.  Lo Loestrin should do that, and hopefully it will have less effect on your breasts than your own hormones.  However, you'd have to try it to know.  It may not change how your breasts feel each month.  I think it would be worth trying.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg

I am an OB-GYN physician. I can answer almost any question related to women's health.

35 years in an active OB-GYN practice.

Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology

MD OB-GYN specialist