Birth Control/Husband can only go in half way during sex

My husband and I recently got married. We waited until marriage to start having sex, and we were both virgins. We have been "practicing" sex, and each time we get a little further. It really hasn't been as painful as I was expecting it to be, but it does make me a little sore. However, he only seems to be able to insert his penis halfway. At the half-way point I feel a lot of pressure, and a bit of a burning sensation, and it feels like he can't go any deeper. At first I assumed he was hitting my cervix, but then I was looking it up online and some people were suggesting that this can happen if your hymen hasn't broken yet? I thought the hymen broke fairly early during insertion. I never felt it break, so now I am worried that the reason I haven't felt much pain yet is because he hasn't broken my hymen. Could this be the case? Or is something else causing him to only be able to go in half way? He is average sized, about 5 or 6 inches.

I suspect that your husband is being stopped by your hymen.  There is a lot of difference between the hymen of different women, from some the break easy to some that are fairly rigid.  I would recommend that you see an OB/GYN doctor for an exam.  If your hymen is fairly rigid, the doctor can open it in the office using local anesthesia.

In case it's not your hymen that is stopping your husband, the doctor can figure out what it is.  Best wishes.

Birth Control

Norman Solberg

I am an OB-GYN physician. I can answer almost any question related to women's health.

35 years in an active OB-GYN practice.

Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology

MD OB-GYN specialist