Birth Control Pills/Long term continuous pill use

I have been on BCPs for 12 years, partly to reduce/control endometriosis, and for this reason, I take them semi-continuously (I have a period 3-4 times a year). I have always used Microgynon/Levlen, and used the 50 microgram dose for about 10 years before having to go down to the 30 microgram dose when I moved from Australia to the US 2 years ago (taking it as Portia) as the 50 is not made in the US.

I have not changed anything in my routine recently, but it appears that my body has re-established its own hormonal cycle. Each month, I experience headaches similar to those I get with my period, breast swelling and tenderness, some cramping, but no bleeding. I had extremely regular (30 day) cycles before I went on the pill. Is it possible for my body to re-establish a hormonal cycle even though I am still taking consistent hormones?

That does sound like an interesting question. Have you talked to your doctor about this? Did your previous doctor recommend taking the pills this way. I usually discourage this for most women but I just wondered if your case was a extraordinary situation. Please email me at and tell me more about your situation. Thanks.

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control Pills

Diane Cheryl

If I am "maxed out" please email me privately at I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and other problems and concerns. I have researched side effects and risks of various methods of birth control. I have almost 25 years of experience working with various pregnancy resource centers.

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning. This is mostly one-on-one counseling in private, on internet and phone.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience. I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.