Birth Control Pills/BCP following abortion

I had a surgical abortion at 7 weeks, 4 days gestation. I had about a day and a half of bleeding and all pregnancy symptoms stopped. I began taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen (not Lo) the next day after the procedure (on a Sunday) and have taken it every day since then. I have never been more than 20-30 minutes late while I adjusted to finding the right time to take the pill.

In my literature from the clinic, it stated that I'd be protected from pregnancy immediately and that no backup method was necessary. I had sex two weeks after the abortion, and now 4.5 weeks after the abortion, I have yet to have a menstrual cycle. I have no symptoms of pregnancy, but I have had no PMS symptoms, either.

I don't "feel" pregnant, but when can I expect my period to return?

Alex, after abortion sometimes it does take a while to get your regular cycle back. Also, the birth control pills could alter your natural cycle. There are hormones in the pills that can affect your health. In fact, I don't recommend any kind of hormonal birth control methods. Let me know what happens. Write me privately at

Diane Cheryl

Birth Control Pills

Diane Cheryl

If I am "maxed out" please email me privately at I can answer questions about the various methods of birth control. I can answer questions like "What would be the best method of birth control for me?" and other problems and concerns. I have researched side effects and risks of various methods of birth control. I have almost 25 years of experience working with various pregnancy resource centers.

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women about birth control and family planning. This is mostly one-on-one counseling in private, on internet and phone.

Illinois Valley Community College, Austin Community College, Travel Agent Degree and almost 25 years of counseling experience. I have worked with Pregnancy Resource Centers for almost 25 years.