Blindness/Visual Impairment/Tactile surfaces?

My mother had a stroke sometime back and her condition has declined over the years and with various drugs. She doesn't verbally communicate very clearly and we can't be sure how well she sees. I was wondering if any created a board full of material samples that feel differently to the fingers. I was thinking we could use a thing like that to communicate ideas to her and have her let us know what she wants.

The American Printing House for the Blind ( has an assisted communication card set in their catalog, the Standardized Tactile Augmentative Communication Symbols kit.  You could purchase this or use the ideas to make one for your mother.  Either way, this is a good, established method of communication for those with both sight and speech impairments.

Blindness/Visual Impairment

Elayne Glantzberg

I can answer questions related to Familial Exudative Vitreo-Retinopathy (FEVR), as well as more general questions concerning blindness in children.

I have five family members with Familial Exudative Vitreo-Retinopathy (FEVR), my husband and four of my six children. My husband and my two youngest children are blind, and my two girls are losing vision. We deal closely with Dr. Michael Trese and his associates in Royal Oak, MI, making trips to see him about once a month for somebody to have surgery or an angiogram or some other exam or procedure. I am familiar with much of the research on FEVR, and can research answers to questions I don't know.

I am a member of both the NFB and AFB parents' organizations.

I have some time in college.