Blindness/Visual Impairment/vision and heat stroke

My husband recently lost about 55% of his vision in both eyes. the eye doctor said it was caused by a stroke and sent us to the hospital for tests. Could this have been a heat stroke that caused it?  because my husband is always working outside and pushing himself. The doctor said a blood clot went to his brain and he would never get his lost sight back.

Thank you for your time, MJ

Heat stroke is a bit of a misnomer and not actually a stroke.  A stroke is caused by either bleeding in the brain or blockage of a blood vessel in the brain, both leading to oxygen deprivation and eventual cell death in the affected area.  Heat stroke is when the body becomes overheated to the point that the organs, including the brain, begin to fail.  However, there is no bleeding or oxygen deprivation involved.  Your husband's doctor has diagnosed him with a true stroke, which unfortunately can happen regardless of activity.

Blindness/Visual Impairment

Elayne Glantzberg

I can answer questions related to Familial Exudative Vitreo-Retinopathy (FEVR), as well as more general questions concerning blindness in children.

I have five family members with Familial Exudative Vitreo-Retinopathy (FEVR), my husband and four of my six children. My husband and my two youngest children are blind, and my two girls are losing vision. We deal closely with Dr. Michael Trese and his associates in Royal Oak, MI, making trips to see him about once a month for somebody to have surgery or an angiogram or some other exam or procedure. I am familiar with much of the research on FEVR, and can research answers to questions I don't know.

I am a member of both the NFB and AFB parents' organizations.

I have some time in college.