Bluebirds/Bluebird flocks

Hi,I live in Connecticut and have been seeing a flock of bluebirds on my deck all winter. I throw out hulled sunflower seeds on my deck because birdfeeders attract bears. There have been as many as 8 bluebirds at a time, usually in male/female pairs.
Is this odd? And do they all live together somewhere? I live in a heavily wooded area. It's been a rather mild winter, but it's supposed to get into single digits with snow this week.

This is not all that unusual recently with Bluebirds and others staying in colder areas during the winter. It may be due to global warming, more bird feeding, etc., but we really don't know. Also they stay in small flocks until the nesting season in the spring when they pair up and become very territorial. At night in cold weather they snuggle together in tree cavities or nest boxes or get into evergreen trees to get out of the wind.

If you will send your mailing address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book - more than 3000 copies are out over the U.S. and Canada. Good luck, Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.