Bluebirds/woodpeckers ruining my bluebird boxes

Is there any way to prevent woodpecker from drilling holes in my bluebird boxes?  They have hit 2 of my 4

Yes. I have the same problem and there are ways to prevent it or to fix it if it has already happened. On new boxes to prevent it you can fasten squares of sheet metal, wood, formica or similar materials with 1 and 1/2 holes in them over the entrance. I just have 4 X 4 inch squares of 1/4 inch plywood with 1 and 1/2 holes and just tack them over the damaged entrance.

If you don't already have my free Bluebird book please send your mailing address to me at and I will send one to you. More than 3000 are out across the U. S. and Canada. Good luck! Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.