Bluebirds/Bluebird Late Nesting in NC

Hi, I have a pair of bluebirds that started nesting around Sept. 28th. I live in central NC. I was wondering if this was normal. I thought the bluebirds went South for the colder months.

Nesting this late is very unusual. Also Bluebird habits have been changing with many of them staying in northern areas all year. About 10% of my Bluebirds stay here in NE OK. The ones that stay have dibs on the best nesting and feeding areas and often nest earlier, but sometimes thay pay a terrible price. A few years ago we had an ice storm that lasted for two weeks. I opened box after box of starved Bluebirds. We lost all of the ones that stayed.
If you will send your mailing address to me at I will send my free Bluebird book to you. More than 3200 copies are out across the U.S., Canada and Bermuda. Also let me know what happens with your nesting late birds. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.