Bluebirds/Bluebird winter nest

Question
I live in upstate NY in a wooded suburban area.  The birds love it here!: pond, trees, low brush, etc. Today I was happily surprised to notice several bluebirds scattered about in the trees.i never see them!! A male and a female were in and out of a bird nesting box thatI I've had up for years. The original hole has been chipped away and I'm not sure whatever lived in there. It looked like the male bird was removing or maybe adding straw or grass to the  box while the female and about five other bluebirds looked on. Do you think they are trying to fix this up for a winter home? Should I clean it out? Leave it alone? I'm so excited and I want them to stay.

Answer
Most Bluebirds migrate south when cold wearher stops their insect food, but in recent years some have been staying in the north. Thoe who stay have first dibs on the best territories but sometimes they die if there is a protracted ice storm that covers up berries, etc. They woll use your box to keep warm at night so I would not clean it out until late February before the nesting season. If you will send your mailing address to me at walshaw1@cox.net I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you experts. happy Holidays! Bluebird Bob.

Bluebirds

Bluebird Bob Walshaw