Bluebirds/Bluebird winter nest

I live in upstate NY in a wooded suburban area.  The birds love it here!: pond, trees, low brush, etc. Today I was happily surprised to notice several bluebirds scattered about in the trees.i never see them!! A male and a female were in and out of a bird nesting box thatI I've had up for years. The original hole has been chipped away and I'm not sure whatever lived in there. It looked like the male bird was removing or maybe adding straw or grass to the  box while the female and about five other bluebirds looked on. Do you think they are trying to fix this up for a winter home? Should I clean it out? Leave it alone? I'm so excited and I want them to stay.

Most Bluebirds migrate south when cold wearher stops their insect food, but in recent years some have been staying in the north. Thoe who stay have first dibs on the best territories but sometimes they die if there is a protracted ice storm that covers up berries, etc. They woll use your box to keep warm at night so I would not clean it out until late February before the nesting season. If you will send your mailing address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you experts. happy Holidays! Bluebird Bob.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.