Bluebirds/Bluebird nesting habilts

I have two bluebird houses set out in my wildflower garden at opposite end of my yard.  Bluebirds have built a nest in each box.  For the last two weeks I have not seen birds entering the box so I went out to check.  In both boxes there are nest, but no eggs, no nothing just empty nest.  At this point I'm not sure how to proceed.  Do I assume the nest are abandon, and remove them.  Is it likely the bluebirds will come back and start using them.  I have half a dozen blue birds in my yard every day both male and female eating  at 2 meal worm feeders, peanut butter suit feeders, and a bird bath.  One of the boxes is new, the other one I had out last year and was successful in raising a family it it.

You didn't say where you live, but in areas where there is still some cold weather in an early warm spell the birds will sometimes build nests and then wait for warmer weather when there are more insects for food to lay eggs and start families. Another reason is when a predator gets the female, but in your case I would doubt that it has happened to both families at the same time. I would wait a bit. Even later in the year when eggs are abandoned I usually wait 20 days before removing the nest. Also if you will send your MAILING address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book. More than 3000 copies are out across teh U.S., Canada and Bermuda. Good luck! Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.