Bluebirds/female bluebird behavior

We have a female bluebird that has been around our house for several weeks.  They have not built a nest as of yet and the birdhouse is clean.  The female will flutter around our house pecking on all the windows.  We put another house on the other side of our house, but she still flutters and pecks.  Sometimes she and the male will sit on our porch swing which is at a window.  I really think she makes it around our house daily peaking at each window.  What to do?

Depending on where you live it may be a bit early for the actual nesting. The female is seeing her reflection as competition. Just hang some strips of Mylar in front of the windows. Also she will stop when she lays eggs and starts incubating. and yes, you should have more than one box as you will often lose some and also some other birds may claim the nest first. If you don't already have my free Bluebird book please send your MAILING address to me at Good luck. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.