Bluebirds/cold + eggs

QUESTION: I live in southern NYS and have had success with my bluebird house for 7 years now.  There are currently 4 eggs.  I am concerned because the weather has become very cold - 28 degrees last night.  Is there anything I can do?

ANSWER: Not really. Bird eggs can stand a lot of cold. Also in cold weather birds often delay incubation as they know that food will be scarce too. If you will send your mailing address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you an expert. Nearly 3100 copies are out across the U.S., Canada and Bermuda. Good luck, Bluebird Bob Walshaw. PS- See page 19 for why you should have more than one box.

QUESTION: Thank you so much Bob!  I would just love to have a copy of your book.  I actually have another question for you regarding adding more houses.  We are in the process of losing our home and I worry about who will clean out the current box between sets of babies (last year 3). Won't they ignore a box that has not been cleaned out?  Also, maybe you can help me with this regarding a hurt Junco. I have posted questions to rehab folks in my area with no response. The bird must have been attacked - lost a wing and one leg is just dangling. I caught the bird-put it in a box - it escaped and now has taken up residence in an empty room with lots of windows.  It is eating, drinking and chirping. There are no wounds. Should I get a cage for this bird? I will be happy to take care of it if it is the right thing to do. How can I send you my address privately?

A national rehab service -  - it is illegal for you to keep a wild bird (unless it is an unprotected one like starlings, house sparrows, rock doves, etc.) Unfortunately if boxes are not cleaned out they will be either taken over by house sparrows or Bluebirds will build on top of the old nest and raise the level of the nest so high that Blue Jays, starlings, etc. can reach in and get the eggs or young. As per my last message, just send your mailing address to my personal email address - Good luck! Bluebird Bob Walshaw. PS - see page 19 for why you should have more than one box in your new home.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.