Bluebirds/Mystery disappearance

Last year we had a pair of eastern bluebirds raise two broods (8 young total) successfully. This spring (I think) the same pair returned to the nest box and diligently built a new nest.  They then have mysteriously disappeared and we have not seen them for one week. Nest is still in tact and it does not appear that the box or nest has been tampered a with. There is a predator cone on the pole. We put out a second box about 100 ft away and not in line of sight. This box was in place when they built the nest in the other, but the new box shows no sign of any activity at all.
Any clue as too what may have happened or the likelihood of their return?
Regards, George in CT

Sent from my iPad

Hi George. They may have backed off a bit due to the cold weather. On the dark side a predator may have gotten the female. I wait 20 days and then if there has been no activity I remove the nest. If you don't already have my free Bluebird book please send me your mailing address. Nearly 3100 copies are out across the U. S., Canada and Bermuda. Good luck. Bluebird Bob Walshaw. PS See page 19 for why you should have several boxes.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.