Bluebirds/Placement of Bluebird house

I live in Tulsa.  This weekend a friend of mine gave me a Bluebird house he built.  Do you have directions for selecting a location?  Can I plant flowers around the pole that will hold the Bluebird house.

It should be in as open a spot as possible, not under trees or near brush or near bird feeders. If you have a big back lawn a good spot would be in the back corner pointing toward the center of the lawn. A second one could go in front of your home. (It is not good to have only one box) I am assuming that you live where there are some open spaces. Bluebirds do not live in cities, although if Chickadees and Titmice come to your bird feeders they will use the boxes. And you do not want flowers around the box post unless they are very short as they attract ants which will get into your Bluebird box. Please send your mailing address to me at and I will send you my free Bluebird book which will make you an expert. Good luck! Bluebird Bob Walshaw. PS - See page 19 for why you need to have more than one box.  

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.