Bluebirds/bluebird fledglings

Four bluebirds hatched and left the nest. Two were in my neighbors yard and two were huddled on the ground, near the nest. Mother came to the nest with food. When she saw the two close to the nest she fed them and flew away.

Why didn't she try to get them into a tree? Why did she leave them on the open ground where preditors would have easy access to them?

She came back 2 other times and feed the foundlings near the nest ... she never fed the other 2 birds even though they were very vocal.
At 7:00 pm I put the birds in a box, on the ground, under the nest ... the mother fed them in the box. The birds left the nest at 11:00 am, at 7:00 pm she still has made no attempt to got the birds off the ground and into a tree or bush.

The birds died during the night.

Is this normal behavior for the female bird?

It may have been normal behavior. Mother Nature is a tough Mom. Predators get the sick, the weak, the slow and the dumb, thus helping to keep the species strong. The parents may have realized that the two on the ground were weaklings. The fact that they died during the night lends credence to this, although sometimes we just don't know. If you will send your mailing address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book which will make you an expert. Good luck. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.