Bluebirds/Bluebird Nesting

I put up nesting boxes for the first time. I started seeing green moss in the bottom of the boxes about 1 to 1.5 inches dept. Then nothing added for a week or longer. I had a flyer that came with the BB box and it described the Bluebird nest it was nothing like the picture or description. So I called a local member of a Bluebird society and they said it wasn't a BB nest and I should remove it. Well I did but it would just get the moss back in the bottom. Well, now there is an all grass/straw that looks picture perfect and but a long period of time has gone by and I see no Bluebirds and no eggs. Backing up a little I had another box that has eggs and there is moss in the bottom with the Bluebird nest built on type. Could you from the info I gave you tell me if moss is use by Bluebirds and how long should I wait to see if Bluebirds will lay eggs in the nest without the moss?

The Bluebird Society person gave you a wrong answer - Carolina Chickadees which are also good birds build moss nests. Tufted Titmice do too but they usually add dead leaves to the moss. They are very nice birds and I deliberately put some of my boxes in woods where I know that I will have 7 or as many as 8 little Chickadees or Titmice staring up at me from the nest. Bluebirds bully them and often build on top of their nests. When you have a Bluebird nest that is abandoned with or without eggs it usually means that a predator has gotten the frmale. If you will send your mailing address to me at I will send you my free Bluebird book which will make you an expert. Good luck. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.