Bluebirds/bluebird territory

Question
Hi Bob. I have been fortunate to host bluebirds in my nest box for several years.  This year I have observed what I think is atypical behavior and wondered if you could help answer my question.  The chicks have recently fledged, and I usually see a second male feeding on mealworms with the parents.  There seems to be no animosity between the three adults, and he has been present even before the young fledged.  He rarely fed them while they were in the box, but he often takes food to the fledglings now.  I thought the males were very territorial during mating season and would not allow another male in their territory.  I appreciate your help to my question.

Answer
This sometimes happens after a family is raised, but it is more often two females and one male, and the two females may both lay eggs. As many as 12 in a family has been documented. The male fighting is usually over females or territory before nesting. If you will send your mailing address to me at walshaw1@cox.net I will send you my free Bluebird book that will make you an expert. Good luck! Bluebird Bob Walshaw. PS - See page 19 for why you should have more than one box.  

Bluebirds

Bluebird Bob Walshaw