Bluebirds/dead male bluebird,babies hungry

I have a blue bird nest with babies.  I found the male bluebird dead two days ago outside of the box.  I walked past the box today and the babies are churping very loudly.  I have never heard them before. Should I try to feed the babies or do you think Mom will take care of them.

Usually one parent can raise them if they are big enough not to require brooding to keep warm (The male does not have a brood patch). If they are calling loudly hopefully nothing has happened to the female. Do not try to raise them. It is actually illegal and almost impossible to do it right. Even if you can feed them to adulthood you could not teach them to forage or to know predators.

You can contact rehabilitators at

Also if you don't have my free Bluebird book please send your mailing address to me at Good luck. Bluebird Bob Walshaw.

Bluebird Bob Walshaw

Questions about setting up and monitoring Eastern Bluebird houses. This includes where and how to put up houses, trouble shooting, fighting predators, especially the killer house sparrows and helping other small cavity nesters such as Chickadees, Titmice, Carolina Wrens, etc. Send mailing address to me at for a free 20 page Bluebird book.

20 years with a 100+ box Bluebird trail which has been accepted as part of the Transcontinental Bluebird Trail. Talks on Bluebirds to many organizations.

North American Bluebird Society, Audubon Society local and national, Oklahoma Bluebird Society, OK Furbearers Alliance

Bluebird Magazine, Birds and Blooms, Oklahoma Today and many other publications.

BS, MBA, Cornell University Bird Biology course

Blue Cross Ageless Hero, Red Cross Everyday Hero, North American Bluebird Society Awards, Oklahoma Bluebird Society Lifetime Award.